Where Are We?
There’s been a lot of news about airport relocation lately, and I thought I’d take a moment to try to put it in perspective.
So, where are we in the process?
We are in fact very close to a potential groundbreaking.
I say “potential” because legal action by the New York City-based NRDC could still delay the process a bit.
Ultimately, I don’t think the NRDC can stop relocation. Too many agencies federal, state and local agencies and elected bodies have reviewed and approved relocation. The funding framework is well in place. And the benefits to Bay County and Northwest Florida are too important to derail the process now.
I’m quite sure the NRDC and the few local opponents to the project feel differently. But if the battle moves to a courtroom, a judge will sort through the facts, and not the misrepresentations so commonly advanced by this bunch of New York City know-it-alls.
In September 2006, FAA issued its Record of Decision recommending and approving relocation. Since the first of the year, the relocation effort has gained tremendous momentum.
Since January 2007 the Airport Authority has received all necessary state permits, entered negotiations for the sale of the existing airport site, selected a new project/construction manager, issued a bid package for the site preparation work and received the financial commitments necessary from the State of Florida and FAA.
It is particularly important that the funding framework is in place. The State has committed a total of $119 million since the relocation effort began. This month, FAA committed “at least $72 million” over four years, meeting the Airport Authority’s request in full. St. Joe has agreed to donate the 4,000 acre site and 10,000 acres for mitigation. And the Airport Authority received a solid bid for the purchase of the airport – final negotiations are on-going.
Bottom line: We can afford relocation. There will be no local taxes. Not now, not ever.
So what has to happen next?
The major piece of outstanding business is the receipt of the final permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Based on nothing more than water cooler talk, I think we can expect to see this permit issued in the next 30 – 60 days.
I think the USACE is being careful to dot all the “i”s and cross all the “t”s with this permit. They know a lawsuit is likely and they want to make sure the permit is bullet proof.
In addition to the USACE permit, the Airport Authority has to finalize its contract with the purchaser of the existing airport site and select and sign a contract with a construction firm for the site preparation work. Based on what I’m hearing, this is all on track.
The wildcard, of course, is an NRDC lawsuit. If a judge grants the NRDC an injunction, construction may be delayed for a period of time. If a judge says no to an injunction, then construction can proceed while the lawsuit is litigated.
I’m told there are still lawsuits pending to stop the construction of runways in Atlanta that airplanes are landing on today.
I can’t help but think that if the NRDC had gotten involved in the sector planning process early, this contention could have been avoided. But instead, the NRDC alone is trying to derail a project where literally thousands of people have contributed to creating the solution.
But let’s stay focused on the positive.
FAA, the USACE, our Airport Authority and dozens of other federal, state and local government bodies have approved this project. Dozens of citizens and environmental groups have contributed to the sector planning process. We have a shared vision that is becoming reality.
I predict a groundbreaking this fall.